BSA Supply No. 35933
Plumbing, including pipe fitting, is an important and well-paid occupation. The industry is quite broad. It covers installations and repairs in homes, commercial properties, and factories. Plumbing pipelines are used for water supply, waste drainage, natural-gas heating, and many other purposes.
- Do the following:
Do the following:
- Describe how a properly working plumbing system protects your family's health and safety.
- List five important local health regulations related to plumbing and tell how they protect health and safety.
- Describe the safety precautions you must take when making home plumbing repairs.
Show how to use five important plumber's tools.
Identify and describe the use of each of the following: washer, retaining nut, plunger (rubber force cup), solder, flux, elbow, tee, nipple, coupling, plug, union, trap, drainpipe, and water meter.
Name the kinds of pipe that are used most often in a plumbing system. Explain why these pipes are used.
Cut, thread, and connect two pieces of steel pipe.
Under the supervision of a knowledgeable adult, solder three copper tube connections using a gas torch. Include one tee, two straight pieces, and one coupling.
Do the following:
- Make a drawing and explain how a home hot- and cold-water supply system works. Tell how you would make it safe from freezing.
- Make a drawing and explain the drainage system of the plumbing in a house. Show and explain the use of drains and vents.
- Replace a washer in a faucet.
- Clean out a sink or lavatory trap.
Better Homes and Gardens editors. Step-by-Step Plumbing. Meredith Books, 1997.
- Home Depot Books editors. Plumbing 1-2-3: Install, Upgrade, Repair, and Maintain Your Home's Plumbing System. Home Depot, 2001.
Popular Mechanics editors. Home How-To. Hearst Books, 2000.
Organizations and Web Sites
American Society of Plumbing Engineers
Web site: http://www.aspe.org
International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials
Web site: http://www.iapmo.org
Mechanical Contractors Association of America
Web site: http://www.mcaa.org
Plumbing-Heating- Cooling Contractors
Web site: http://www.phccweb.org
United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters
Web site: http://www.ua.org